Saturday, May 04, 2019

Provence-Berlin-Normandy, Leg 1

Monday, April 29, 2019, 4:00 p.m. (actual writing date)

Leg 1 on a centipede of a trip: Southern Gulf Islands to the British Columbia Mainland

I am on the 3 p.m. ferry to Tsawwassen and we’re about to crash into Galiano Island. That would be about right, for this day. Although I didn’t know this ahead of time, I now know that I decided to have all my delays and missed connections on the first day, you know, get them over with. After today, all will be smooth, as they say, sailing.

Seems the captain looked up from his coffee break in time to steer us away from the rocks. I may complete the first leg of this trip after all, which consists of getting to my travel partner, Sheilagh’s, place, so that we can go to the airport together tomorrow. I left home at 11 this morning, and now, with missed connections, I may make it to her home by 8:30. Oh, the places I’ll go! Or I could go, in nine hours of travel.

I wrote a card this morning, to my granddaughter in Berlin, telling her I was on my way to see her. I told her it would take a while, because I’ll be going on a ferry, then a bus, then a train, then an airplane, then another train, then a barge, then a bike, then another train, then another airplane. That’s the simplified version. I’ll be very good at transportation by the time I’m done. I’m hoping, expecting, the stuff in between transportation to be great!

This ferry is crazy noisy. There’s a TV blaring in the corner, and the usual kids running around with their obligatory screaming. And now that I have a cell phone of my own, I’m noticing everyone else’s. Maybe the TV was installed to drown out the symphony of pings and buzzes coming from everyone’s phones. And I bet those kids are on payroll. I need to change my text tone; it’s the same as everyone else’s who hasn’t figured out that it’s worth choosing something different so you’re not grabbing the device every 12 seconds.

Also, now that I have a phone of my own, I realize I should be taking photos of every passing moment. This piece would be so much more interesting if I’d taken shots of the Cumberland Queen, and the first waiting room, and the second waiting room, and the dock as we pulled away. Here’s the interior of the Queen of Vancouver Island. Great, huh?


2 comments:

roselyne said...

:) Je vais te suivre de près

Kathryn Palmer said...

Thanks for day 1. Looking forward to more...