Saturday, April 18, 2009

Normandy: A Series of Poems and Photographs

.



In celebration of International Poetry Month, I'm writing a poem every day this month. Just past the half-way point, I'm surprised how well it's been going. What this tells me, it seems, is that I can write when I have to, when I'm committed to it. The supposed dry spells seem to be more a lack of motivation than a lack of inspiration.

I'm shy to post poems here, telling myself I would then be taking them off the market for publishing. As if I submit! But maybe I will, and so I keep the poems hidden away except from a few close associates.

Anyhow. So far all but one of my poems have been about Normany - sixteen of them to date. I've been immersed in memories of the place, stories I've been told by a friend from Normandy, and my imagined plot bits. I've gone through my photos of my October 06 trip to France, which included a stay in Avranches, Normandy.

Here are some of my shots, posted with lines from poems I've been writing this month.







You get used to ruins. We revere
broken statues




















a cavernous kitchen, a walk-in fireplace








a courtyard enough to hang laundry, just














The street is wide enough
for Suzanne to swing, to fly
in the hands of Nat and Sylvain.













More to follow....



.

3 comments:

ca ne fait rien said...

Oh I know I work much better under pressure, whether it is pressure I put myself under or that of other people- a combination of both and I actually get stuff done. It is those times when I do not have motivation that I just vegetate, then feel awfully guilty.
Photos are wonderful- so crumbly like the cakes my mum used to make- she never had the right ingredients so used to compromise and teh results were delicious- sort of granulated sugar for caster and butter instead of marg so they would be rich and crunchy like the walls in those pics.
Really enjoying your series over in NaPoMo.

BG Dodson said...

Good to see you posting once again.

Anonymous said...

one of the surviving buildings, I see. it's a shame the destruction dealt by both the nazis and the allies on the french country. churches and landmarks that had stood for centuries leveled in moments. I read an encyclopedia of world war II filled with photographs from the war. not just the places but the people, too. it's been called, with good reason, the most destructive war in the history of humanity. thanks for sharing your pictures.