Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Art of Incomprehensibility

.




We visited the National Gallery in Ottawa in July, to take in the current exhibition, called “The 1930s: the Making of ‘The New Man.’”

[National Gallery of Canada site]


It was a fascinating historical documentary through the eyes of art, the contrast of regime-sanctioned “ideal man” art with the distortions of post-impressionism and surrealism – artists’ statements in paint and sculpture, for and against the totalitarianism of Germany, Russia, Italy, Spain. There were pieces from Picasso, Dali, Miro, and many more. Really exciting. The best exhibition I’ve seen yet at the gallery, topping last year’s Renoir.

These exhibitions make me hyper-aware that I have so much to learn about art, including literature. What instinctively moves me the most is the purely visual: the image, colour, form, composition. Art, though, goes beyond those, and maybe it must. The audio guide at the Gallery helped see symbolism and reference and political statement, but I’m still at the neophyte stage; those are not what move me, but rather are the added bonus, the superimposition of meaning on the joy of art magnificently rendered.

If I were to transfer this to poetry, the notion of colour, form, construction over substance, I suppose what I’d be drawn to would be the music of a poem – the sounds, the rhythms, the space. I’m not completely sure the analogy holds, though, since I like a poem I can find experience in, narrative experience. I have much to figure out.

I recently bought Jorie Graham’s book, “Swarm.” Ms. Graham is something of an It girl in contemporary American poetry, it seems, or so the reviews on the cover would infer. “Poetry” magazine, that journal-among-journals, recently published her in two consecutive issues, poems which required double-sized fold-out pages, and must have been quite an expense for the publisher. Another of her poems, “What the End is For,” was labelled “one of the greatest poems of the late twentieth century” by John Redmond in his book, “How to Write a Poem.”* I loved that poem, and Jorie Graham’s name kept popping up, which is what prompted me to buy her book.

Well. I can’t read it. I tried. I was confused, then bored, by the first poem. I read a few other poems, then set the book aside. I can be a clueless reader at times, but if I spend time with a poem or set of poems I can usually find a way in. Not these poems. The emotion these poems made me feel was like that of the excuded playmate; I thought, if this is the vanguard of poetry, this is a club I don’t want to join. To me the poems were an incomprehensible juxtaposition of carefully-placed disjunct lines, separated by asterisks. Nothing more. I understood not the lines, the spacing, nor the asterisks. I thought maybe I was supposed to “hear” the poems, but I could find no music in them, no poetic device (unless it was buried so deep it was obscured from me.) I can’t imagine these poems read aloud. If I were to see these poems out of context, I would likely dismiss them.

But what do I know?

I have much to figure out. I would like to find criticism of such works as Graham’s that can tell me what she’s doing – like the audio guide at the National Gallery – because I’m lost on my own. Most reviews of poetry, however, I find so vague as to be almost as incomprehensible as the poems they discuss. Maybe someone on the inside could explain this phenomenon, this apparent mutual back-scratching among poets. But I don’t imagine it’s easy to find anyone who has the nerve to question the clothes of the New Empress.




*Redmond, John. “How to Write a Poem.” Blackwell Publishing, Oxford. 2006. p. 146.





.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Hi Anne, I appreciate this blog on Jorie. It made me laugh to myself, and dash to my bookshelves to grab Swarm, Overlord which I forgot I bought, and the first book of hers-The Dream of a Unified Field which a poetry group i had been in were raving about. The poem you loved, What The End Is For (p.66) , is in that. I am not sure what to add to your commentary, but that I like not feeling alone in my confusion of Jorie Graham and my incredulousness almost bordering on impatience and anger that her long --unending pieces (when the poetry scene so often asked for concise/short work) are indulged in so it seems for whatever reason...at great expense as you say. Like what is with that? I think I originally was drawn to her book and writing because it did defy the form of brevity and it felt experimental and thoughtful and interesting. Unbodied Orpheus's head sings downstream.... Sh..."How far into the earth can vision go and still be love (p.33)" . And in Swarm--lines I highlighted were ones such as..."Deposit thirst in me" "Explain ....saturated"... these felt like prompts I could use for myself. As a whole though her work leaves me pretty cold. And lthey are too much work to get to what I love about poetry--the music and guts, tenderness and the essential fierceness that comes with chosen words just so, the fleeting moment sung. I have been perplexed that she is so acclaimed and thought I was missing something. Which I imagine I am. Explain edges she writes. Well maybe she could explain it herself so I can understand her better. ha. Perhaps what i have liked best are taking phrases for a writing prompt from a few of her works over the years. And of that I am grateful. Explain light....once took me on a great ride. So thanks for naming the incomprehensible. I always like a girl who screams out when the Emperor has no clothes/ and tells it like she sees it. Kat

Lisa Nickerson said...

You didn't tell me you saw that exhibit! Sounds fantastic!

I read this article the other day -- it isn't even new but it still, I think addresses the state of Contemporary Poetry and yes it is dated 1991.

http://www.danagioia.net/essays/ecpm.htm


I have Jorie Graham's Overlord. I don't like it and never pick it up to read for inspiration. There are maybe 2 poems in the book I "feel." The rest do what you feel -- exclude me.

I think the key is not being in the club, honestly. I tell people at Gazebo when they ask me what contemporary poets I'm reading:

None, I have no desire to know what is popular 'now' cause that means it has already been done and therefore -- passe.

Very arrogant I know but I remain for the most part blissfully engaged with my Dead Poets and reaching into the deep dark blackness feeling around for the poem.

Nice to see Kat here.

Good post enjoyed muchly.

xo