Monday, January 23, 2006

Stone Wall outside Yeats' Churchyard


If this wall isn’t old, it could be, settled and filmed over with green algae, mottled with the white concentric growth of fungus. Who knows if the growth was there before, or since, the building of the wall. The rocks have come to fit together like old spouses, his lumps molded to her hollows, but even when new, the thoughtful eye and hand of the builder would have been evident - where’s a small chink for this small space, ah! there! a place for that big cube! And the wall grew up like a 20th Century art lesson, balance, form, and abstraction. There must have been some failures sometimes, sections surely collapsed in rain or in the shudder of the wind, to be repaired by yet other hands, other eyes, and maybe that’s why there’s a juxtaposition of green rock stark against white. And maybe it was less tall, once, and hence the strata, here a layer thick, built by someone young and hardy, here a thin line of hearthstones, almost. Over the top, some prickly vine creeps down, and if the stonework holds, it will one day disappear under greenery, and become as if a hedge. All the walls of Ireland are like this: organic, living, speaking their story and of the hands that built them.

2 comments:

Howard said...

Hello!

Just thought I'd drop by to say hello. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Ireland. I used to help my dad build walls like that, but they didn't have time to garner much history, because the sheep would always clobber them, usually in the middle of the night, when they had delusions of being deer or some such. I miss living in the country.

It's sad about the fragmentation of the online poetry set-up we used to have. Frankly I've never been much enamoured of Sean's site and the dominance of witless potty-mouths. Claire and I will be working on something soon, which I hope you'll find a pleasant place to swap poems etc.

Have you ever tried Eratosphere? The critics are quite ruthless, but they are critics rather than twerpies. Maybe a bit formalist for your taste. Meanwhile, I will try to develop my blog a little more. Hopefully I will get all the old wormy poems on there, and as many of Claire's as she will let me post. There is definitely a market (not that I use the word in any commercial sense) for an informal but serious poetry community.

Take care.

I love the post about toads, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello.

-Sotm