Saturday, October 21, 2023

Music in Lisbon


Fado

When we think of Portuguese music, we think of Fado, the mournful songs of sea and longing, accompanied by the Portuguese 10-string guitar. Elly and I went to the Fado museum in Lisbon for an introduction. We heard recordings by a number of the greats of the Fado world. But Fado is meant to be heard live.

I really wanted to see a Fado performance in Lisbon. The travel guides make it seem an easy thing to do, and, sure enough, Fado performances were everywhere. These take place in little restaurants that charge a cover and serve expensive meals. The hitch was that we couldn't get reservations (we didn't know we would need them). Our hotel called at least four places, with two nights to choose from, and nothing was available.  So, no Fado. I guess I have to plan ahead for my next trip to Portugal.


Other Music

When I was first researching places to eat Lisbon, I came across two videos of local buskers/café musicians both playing "Stand By Me," and not particularly well. Didn't find any other songs by buskers, just "Stand By Me." I deem it Lisbon's theme song. Here is the one busker we saw in Lisbon:

 

There was better music to be heard in the streets, though, like this trio in a restaurant patio, the sound echoing around the neighbourhood. Seeing this short clip now, I realize I should have let the camera run longer -- not used to what I can get away with on Youtube.



Returning to Lisbon the second time, we went to this restaurant in hopes of having an evening of this brilliant trio, but it was a Monday, and the place only had live music on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Music in Portugal, for us, a bust.



1 comment:

Kathryn Palmer said...

oooh that trio was wonderful! No wonder you were disappointed to not hear more. And no Fado - gaaaa.